Sleep Country USA Makes Getting Dressed Fun for Foster Kids
For Immediate Release
Foster Kids’ Favorite Functional Items Made Fun in Company Clothing Drive, Through July 22
Seattle – June 4, 2012 – Colored jeans, nautical stripes, neon colors and preppy style - this year’s fashion trends are fun, bright and sporty. But for local foster children who often enter foster care with just the clothes on their back, getting dressed and ready to tackle the day isn’t always easy breezy.
“While foster parents are provided with a monthly stipend to supply necessities for foster kids, a recent shopping trip revealed that these funds don’t make it very far,” said Heather Jefferis, Executive Director of Kinship House. “A new t-shirt or pair of jeans provides a much needed confidence boost and sense of normalcy for children in such unfamiliar situations, and helps foster families immensely.”
To assist foster parents and give foster kids the extra confidence they need to succeed in school and at play, Sleep Country USA is collecting new clothing items from June 4th through July 22nd. Donations of new clothing, such as shirts, shorts, jeans, jumpers, dresses, and packaged undergarments in all sizes – infant to adults – are being accepted at every Sleep Country store. And to make shopping a little easier and much more fun, the company has created its Top 5 Fashion Meets Function Clothing Items for Foster Kids:
- Instead of Classic Blue Jeans – Choose a brighter pair of turquoise, yellow, or kelly green jeans for girls, or slim cut dark denim for boys.
- Snap Up a Button Up – Short and long sleeve shirts sporting nautical stripes, pretty plaids or even the classic look of a pressed oxford are perfect for casual or dressy occasions.
- Top Choice T-Shirts - T-shirts are a kiddo staple. This year’s tees featuring neon colors, vintage logos, and polished polos take the boring out of basic tees.
- Hoodies Get Hip– Zip-ups are easy to layer and hoods provide great protection from Northwest rain showers. Snap up a matching yoga or sweat pant and imagine the smile on a foster kid’s face as they head to the park to play kickball.
- A Better Sweater – In-style and dual-purpose, choose a cardigan over a pull over and it will double as a light jacket during warmer months. And steer away from black or gray, kids love color!
Feeling inspired and ready to shop? Drop off donations of new clothing items at any Sleep Country store, or donate online and Sleep Country employees will do the shopping for you. You can even organize your local school, sports team, or business to rally behind the cause and Host-Your-Own-Drive. Also, Sleep Country has partnered with Wild Waves Theme Park to host a Wild Waves Day for Foster Kids Sunday, June 24th. Bring your donation of a new clothing item to the park, and get a half-price admission ticket to Wild Waves Theme Park and Enchanted Village.
For foster children who enter care with little to no belongings of their own, a new clothing item not only brightens their mornings, but shows them their community cares. This summer, Sleep Country asks you to remember that while “Not everyone can be a foster parent, anyone can help a foster child.”
Donate to the Sleep Country Clothing Drive June 4th through July 22nd.