Why Foster Kids
Washington and Oregon have nearly 20,000 children in foster care. Many have suffered the effects of poverty, neglect, and even abuse. Studies show that for many foster children, the challenges are just beginning.
- Each year, over 10,000 Northwest children enter foster care.
- The majority of foster children have at least one chronic medical condition.
- Foster children experience 4 times the emotional problems as their peers.
- Foster children average three different placements, and nearly half do not return to live with their biological families.
- Foster children repeat a school grade twice as often as other students.
- They score 15-20 percent below other kids on statewide tests.
- 37% of foster youth drop out of high school, compared to 16% of the population.
- At age 18, 61% have no job experience and 1/3 end up on welfare.
- Within 18 months of aging out of the system, up to 50% of foster youth become homeless.
But it doesn't have to be that way. Sleep Country has joined forces with specific and targeted foster charity organizations and the community to help Northwest foster kids. With your help, we can provide foster children with the little things that often make a big difference. Things like school supplies and sports shoes, or even something as basic as a present during the holidays, a warm coat, or clothes. With your continued support we strive to help foster kids beat the odds. Learn more about our current collection effort or even host your own drive today!